On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, October 10, 2005

Writing Monday -- First Snow.

Yes, it's writing Monday and I'm home and there's snow on the roof of the hidieous luxury condos next door that my neighbors and I fought tooth-and-nail against (I gave brilliant speeches of course), and the City Council let go up anyway. My house is coming up on 100 years old, every other place on the block is brick. This one isn't and is oddly shaped to fit in the lot and goudge the most amount of money from the buyers. The construction was horrible and I have a few new cracks in my place (yes I got a surveyer out here). Don't ever think (as I did) that local politics is more caring of the individual, it's probably dirtier than national politics, because they have so little to lose (yes, I know that's the definition of academic politics). And I didn't mean to rant on about that.

I should say how pretty the snow is, but it isn't. It's a gray day, here and still drizzling rain-snow. One of the approx. 65 cloudy days we have a year. There is enough snow for icy slush on the streets. The trees haven't lost their leaves, OF COURSE, and I'll have to go and shake off those I can reach. It WAS lovely waking up late -- 7:30 when my pda beeped my "Get to the Bus NOW" alarm, though Diva had tried to wake me up earlier. Apparently the cats are worried that they might have to hunt their own food -- IN THE SNOW -- if I didn't pour dry food and open cans for them. Ha. Ha. Ha.

I'm really grumpy because I have to do a project I've been putting off for a long time and run some errands. No way out of it. Indirectly writing connected, and now going back and writing that scene where Winterberry questions someone that I avoided all weekend looks da*n good.

I MAY get 10 pages done today if I'm lucky. Sorry for the grumpy note -- affirmation for you all, USE your emotion in your writing today. If I do get to Winterberry, he may have an edge, and that would be a mistake in questioning this person...

Love to all, may writing smooth your day,

Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

it's an awesome hole up and write day, isn't it? this weather inspires me. but I too have other things to do. :( drive slow and good luck on keeping dry.

9:07 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

I just got back from the NJRWA conference and I will join you on the grumpy couch.(pushes Robin over) This is the one time a year that I get away from the family and indulge in being me. Unfortunately, the cold that my daughter brought home from school 2 weeks ago is still hanging on and my asthma as kicked in making me miserable.

AND I overextended myself at the con. Bad Terri! No biscuit! That just sorta added to things and the weather? Blecch! Poured all weekend long. When I got back yesterday, I felt like a mack truck had driven over me a few hundred times. I didn't even get to all the workshops that I wanted because I had volunteered to help out at different things!

See? No good deed goes unpunished.

Anyhow, now I need to recooperate so I can write.

One highlight of the weekend was meeting some FF&P internet friends. Another nice thing was getting a request from an editor. I would smile, but I can't spare the energy.

Really.

And Robin, I understand all about the local politics and building ugliness. My property borders a historic canal system with woods. Those woods harbor bear (they have visited my backyard), wild turkeys, deer, groundhog, chipmunks, rabbits, opossums, raccoons, snakes and box turtles.

What does the town want to do? Tear down the whole mountain to build senior citizen housing. The WHOLE mountain.

And my state is so corrupt in their politics that it will happen.

In ten years, we will have no open spaces left.

Terri (adding her rant to yours)

4:00 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Sex, sorry you (and I didn't get to write)...Moonhart, feeling bad makes even the thought of writing tough...cherish yourself.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]