On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wrestling with new website design and build

Wrestling with new website design and build: That's what I've been doing over the last couple of days. Currently at the link above.

The header is lame, but enough to give an artist friend of mine an idea to work with. I have done a little bit of placeholders on the pages -- please let me know if you think the Books page looks too crowded and I will make the images smaller and farther apart.

There IS a new excerpt on the Excerpts page and a new graphic in Extras. I'm thinking of moving the Quick Reading List to the Home Post/Page.

May you be amused at yourself today.
Robin

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about clicking on the book title and then we are able to read all of the excerpts to that book, or reading about your thought process for that book, or whatever else that is specific to that book, be there? It could be dedications, left out scenes, characters that didn't make it, scenes that needed to be shortened?

Will you have a link to your blog site? I always had a hard time finding it on your current website.

Loved the excerpt for your newest. Cannot not wait for it to come out, I have already pre-ordered it from amazon.

Tine

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In general, I definitely like it, but I would prefer if you would have your book covers (the size is fine) as distinct single images in the Books page - and then if a reader clicks on the cover, they are lead through to a page with information about the book - like the blurb and places to buy it online, as well as an excerpt if you offer it for that book (or a link if the excerpt is online at the publisher).

That would be a real invitation to browse around and see what else you have to be bought.

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new website; I like having tabs across the top.

Loved the excerpt. I had wondered about the Fams, whether they came on board already senient or if they developed during the journey. So can't wait for this book and Enchanted Again.

6:29 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, all. I see that I will have to develop links or something to the covers. I had a terrible time trying to put them up individually, and for a brand new hatched webmistress I'm doing ok, the design was easy with a program I bought, but the getting it working the way I want will be a challenge.

Robin

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am super impressed that you are doing this on your own. Kudos, major kudos to you. I guess all of the things that we think are cool take way to much work to do, if they can be done at all. Star Trek has spoiled us all.

Tine

11:49 PM  
Blogger e_booklover said...

I like the new design :). I just got a chance to read Heart Search and loved it!

9:20 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

e_booklover, ALWAYS WONDERFUL to hear you liked the latest work.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see the big post on DearAuthor on what readers expect from an author's website. I think they covered the basics nicely and showed some additional features one MIGHT add if one has the time and inclination.

http://dearauthor.com/features/letters-of-opinion/authors-and-their-websites-three-must-haves-for-website-design

My pet peeve is white font on black background. Horrid to read for any length of time (but you never had that, as far as I can remember).

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]