On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, September 09, 2011

The Magic Secret In Writing

The Magic Secret in Writing. Today is the start of the Colorado Gold, Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Conference. I have a seminar on critique groups and my writer of the year speech. But I wanted to tell a story about the pre-conference party last night and "the magic secret of writing."

I hauled mentor out of a deadline-stupor and made her come to the party. We had great news, one of our good friends sold a three book contract yesterday! Go Linda Hull! Mysteries.

Also, one of the writers mentor admires most, Allison Brennan, is our keynote speaker. So mentor came and offered to buy Allison a drink to talk about plotting. Allison says, "I never plot."

Mentor is staggered. She is a great plotter, but admires Allison's twists.

Allison leaves for the hotel and mentor and I drift away to the cheese tray. Mentor says, "She doesn't plot." Munch. "There should be a magic secret of writing, one that works every time."

I munch and nod. "Yes, there should be. And everyone thinks that." It is so unfair that there isn't. That every book is hard to write, that sometimes you (I) have trouble in different places.

I gesture around the room. "Kay," I say to mentor. "You probably have written more books than anyone else here." She smiles and nods.

Leaning forward, I say, "People think YOU have the magic secret." Again the surprised expression. Then we laugh and shake our heads. There is no magic secret.

May you enjoy your day...as for me, I'll be good after I give that speech... Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

So true.

No, the secret is . . . there is no secret formula to writing good books.

It just damn hard work and every books different with a different set of problems to over come.

BTW, I just bought Heart Fate at Boarders.

Janice~

10:06 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, but we all WISH there was a secret! Thanks Janet!

9:45 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

No doubt, Mentor has the secret!!!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]