On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Stories on my Mind -- Spoilers

Spoilers -- Stories on my mind: what I know about my stories and when I know them. HeartMate was manuscript #4 for me and one of those just-sit-down-and-write-whatever, but I'd been telling myself the Summoning stories before I went to sleep since my teens.

When I wrote HeartMate, I had the first two scenes only, and not all of them, and I didn't know what would happen. When my critique group asked, I had no answer and ideas flew. Having the HeartGift stolen wasn't my idea, but it sounded right and I went with it. Just like, when I was writing Heart Duel, and talking about the charm key that would let you into a HeartMate's house, one of my friends said that if she had such a key she'd go door to door. So Trif did in Heart Quest.

What stories did I know about? Before I was published I had finished HeartMate, I had two versions of Heart Thief -- one for the sf/f market and one for the romance market. I also was a few chapters into Heart Duel. I knew Signet Marigold was standing on a cliff (though I didn't know her name), I knew about a nameless Avellana Hazel and what her talent was and how she demonstrated it and where (Ashes) and that Signet saved them.

I knew about Antenn Moss and what he would become and WHAT his HeartMate was. Antenn's book is still 2-3 books in the future, but I am setting up for it. I had an idea for Tinne Holly's story, but it didn't go the way I thought...I wonder where that microcasett is?

So those are the stories I knew/know if in kernel form. I didn't know Holm would be disinherited, though I knew that the older Hollys would break their Vows of Honor.

Some stories are amorphous in my head and change. I have two coming up that keep changing -- as well as the one I'm working on, Heart Secret. ;)

May you enjoy your own silliness today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I love that you just pop this info out here for us - it's fascinating to glimpse into the mind of a favourite author and learn how the books came to be. And still with the teasers - "what" his heart mate will be? What!? What!? :D

11:29 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Ooooh! Now I want to know what he becomes and what his HeartMate is! Gah! Well, I'll be reading and keeping an eye on all the characters. LOL

Will we also learn more about Turquoise House? It's still waiting for the right person/family. *speculates*

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I knew about Antenn Moss and what he would become and WHAT his HeartMate was.".... now, that is intriguing!

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]