On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Learning About Characters

As you write, you learn about your characters as the scenes develop, especially if you are in their Point of View or head. Today I learned that one of the concerns that my hero, Garrett Primross of Heart Secret, has is that he leaves a legacy behind him of something. Family, good work, whatever, this is something important to him.

This is not something that is terribly important to me personally (though I'd like to think that my books might entertain for a few generations), and it's not something I believe I've had in a character before. Making a lasting mark on the world -- though Garrett doesn't care if he's famous, just that something outlasts him....

And with that line I understood why this is important to him, with the backstory I've given him. ;)

For instance (teaser), he will be helping the Turquoise House with its HouseHeart, and believes that such help will leave an imprint on TQ long after Garrett is dead and TQ is still alive. ;)

May you enjoy learning something today.
Robin

5 Comments:

Blogger Betty Hanawa said...

Love TQ, happy to see it's in a new story. Raz Cherry was also proud of his voice being a legacy with TQ.

btw, all your books are available on the Nook. I found them title by title as opposed to lumped together under Nook Books.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, boy! what I teaser... now wait for a year to read it!
Can you hurry it up, please?

12:19 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I don't know if I love hearing the tantalising teasers you so wantonly give us - or hate them knowing it's just more wait wait wait! :)

4:59 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yay for NOOK-ness! Anon, will really hit Heart Secret when I come back from RWA...maybe I am too mean...but I figure you'll all forget by the time it comes out.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TQ has become such a favourite secondary character that I love to read about. I cannot wait to read more.

Tine

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]