On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Opening with a Group Scene

This is not really a good idea, it confuses readers if they can't figure out who is whom and they get irritated.

The first thing I heard from my mentor about Heart Journey was "You opened with a group scene!" (She LOATHES group scenes).

Sez I, "Yes, I've taken it to critique group. Did you have trouble with it?"

"No, but I think you should only have two of them."

"Can't do that. I can cut one, though, he rarely shows up in the rest of the book."

More grumbles, from me, too, since I like the scene as it is.

But after we finish talking I cut Guy Balsam from the scene and finesse his lines until they're like more what the others would say.

I'm hoping this will be clear, though the only person my readers have ever met is Raz.

May you enjoy your day,
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]