On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Frustration, Balancing Explanation and Word Count

I had some frustrating moments when I went through old critique group notes on Heart Journey. Like all comments, I had to weigh what most meant, whether I'd explained something in a previous chapter that they'd forgotten but a reader would remember.

Particularly frustrating was when someone wanted more information and I'm sitting with the manuscript on screen, needing to CUT. How confusing WOULD this be?

Finally, I decided to add.

If your readers get lost, they will put down the book.

If the manuscript is too long, the editor will cut, and s/he will be fresh eyes so may very well cut better.

Follow your gut, but ALWAYS consider your readers.

May you be appreciated today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Robin, this actually answers a question I had asked earlier.

Thanks,
Janice~

2:21 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Janice, I'm sorry I didn't answer that question. I try to be good about that.

Robin

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]