On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Conflict

In addition to good characters, you need conflict. I don't talk about this much because it isn't something that I analyze and set out to do. I am more and more an organic writer.

But there must be tension, tension between characters, suspense in the plot...and I don't feel I'm fantastic at that, either, but I do try.

In any event (I woke up to the shock of snow, though everyone knew it was coming, I thought we'd duck it again so I'm a bit gloomy this am and Dingo is unhappy that he can't go out and that his last mouse -- dead, down the toilet -- disappeared without notice) conflict is a must, tension keeps the reader reading. What happens next?

So when I looked at the Luna book, Out of Balance, chapter one was good, because it was one of those that I nailed. Chapter Two...well, I tried to revise to change to the new story line, and made it worse.

Crit group had told me, earlier this year, but I hadn't seen that the conflict has to be really big here, I wanted to feed in the worldbuilding and go. So I threw out Chapter two and I've been staring at the ceiling and thinking.

I think the standard text I use is something like: Problem, Decision, Disaster, so I'm working on that, too.

It will be the best conflict I can make it.

May you enjoy the weather and the activities of the day.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

Fictionwise.com is showing Guardians of Honor as a new release this week, do you know why? It's been available in eformat for awhile hasn't it?

9:37 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I think this is a Kindle edition and other formats as well, and I believe you're right, it WAS an ebook before.

Robin

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]