On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Revision Bits -- Thread it Through -- Ultimate Pantzer

I was working on Chapter 30 of Heart Journey and, like I said before, something struck me as wrong. I finally figured out that I had left Del giving the HeartGift to Raz for too late in the book. It didn't feel right for several reasons (which I won't go into here since those would be spoilers).

Like most problems I kicked it around and let it simmer and tried to convince myself that it DID work, then I finally accepted that gut was still complaining that it didn't feel right, and changed it.

I'm not normally a person who vacillates, but I HAVE come to the conclusion that I am an Ultimate Pantzer. I don't analyze my work for sexual or dramatic tension in every scene. I write and if the scene feels good, it stays. If it feels iffy it may stay or go, depending on how much work it would take to fix and whether I love the scene, and whether I need to cut.

So I went back to a scene I thought would work, and the set up was there, of course, and I added the HeartGift scene. Chapter 16.

Of course, now I have to thread this through the rest of the book, adding a few lines here and there, but I will do THAT after the rough draft is done and I do my first read, threading the information through.

As far as I know, most authors, unless they are very, very specific in their work and nothing changes from their outline to their books, do this process.

If you write, get used to it. If you read, next time you notice a thread in a book, realize that it can be a lot of work.

May you enjoy the weaving of your life today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Robin,

I hope you are enjoying this labor day weekend.

I'm a big believer in following your gut instinct. I know you have been wresting around with this problem for a while, and I'm glad you figured it out. Your book will be better for it.

Janice~

10:10 PM  
Blogger NewGuyDave said...

That nagging feeling is what I've been falling back on with my new opening. I think I have one that works now, but it means shifting some scenes around in the first part of the book.

It's good to have gut instincts, and here's hoping they're correct.

5:55 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks Janice and Dave. I've got it done and will work on the revisions. The scene COULD have fit but sometimes forcing these things make for a bad book.

Robin

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]