On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Style and Voice

Part of my style and voice is using one sentence paragraphs. In one of my latest books (I honestly can't recall whether it was Heart Fate or Heart Change), I did more than usual, so when the time came to cut, those paragraphs went up to the previous one.

Varying sentence and paragraph length is important, reading rhythm is important, emphasis is important.

I DO look at how many four line paragraphs I have in a row, whether there is a variety, of two sentences and six sentences and even one.

But one sentence paragraphs need to be for emphasis, and, like everything, the use of too many will destroy the emphatic statement you want (I want).

So if you write, take a look at your paragraphs on the page. If you read, and you think you find something boring, it might be because the paragraphs are all the same size...one reason.

May you enjoy your individual style today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger NewGuyDave said...

I found when I was first writing, all my sentences all the same length/style. When I started to vary it a bit, I found things improving.

Knowing what sentences to use, shorter for faster pace and longer for slower, has drastically improved my writing.

I also find listening to the prose helps. Text to voice programs may be robotic and funny. Their carefully measured pauses based on punctuation, combined with sentence structure, and paragraph length give me a real good sense for how things read.

8:05 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

An excellent idea! We read in our in-person crit group, but I know some authors who always read their work aloud to make sure it sounds fine.

Robin

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]