On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Crises of Confidence

As far as I know every author has a crises of confidence with every book. Mine happened yesterday when I started questioning a scene, why were my characters doing what they were doing? Since I've written a huge chunk of book after that scene, I saw the whole rest of the book disintegrating before me.

I am at the 3rd turning point and for my first few books that's where this personal crises point hit.

But the last few books the crises has come earlier, hanging around the middle. Ha-ha, since that didn't happen I forgot it would. So it snuck up again at the 3rd turning point and whammied me.

I spent a while lying on the couch, staring at the ceiling; quite a lot of time messing around on the computer doing not much at all; and talking with the mentor. After consideration of my characters and motivations and how they would act, I think that everything will work the way I thought after all. The next scene (already written) may need to be modified, but the transition pages, the rest of the scenes I've written and the upcoming climax should continue to work.

WHEW!

Of course beta readers might not agree, but my job is to finish the book, THEN fix. So I will do better (and hopefully feel better health-wise) tomorrow.

May you survive any crises that plague you today and come out stronger.

Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger NewGuyDave said...

I feel for you. I'm having one right now over my beginning.

10:21 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks Dave, I know you'll really hit that Chapter 1.

Robin

10:06 PM  
Blogger Silver Phoenix said...

Keep your friends close, but your Mentor closer. :-)

Sometimes it's just needing to get out of your own head that might help. Things can get cluttered up there, particularly when all the whole story is stuffed in there. I've no idea how people who write all the time don't run barking from the pressure of all the words....

12:01 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Good comment, Silver Phoenix. It made me think of my process...the scenes and emotions and visualizations may be there...and pressure, indeed, but the words to describe them may be tough to whittle/sculpt, bleed out.

Robin

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]