On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Break Out Books: Dark and Edgy

I was told that to break out, my next book/series etc. should be dark, edgy and full of action.

One of my urban fantasies (on the back burner) starts out dark and edgy, though I am not sure how long I could keep up the brooding atmosphere.

As for the definition of edgy, I THINK it means more danger for the hero/heroine, and maybe the edge part is moral dilemma. That's my take. Moral questions in doubt. The edge of danger -- physically, emotionally, morally.

May you read or write what you need to today.
Robin

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I reader I don't like books written to a formula dictated by the publishers' accountants!... so, an original writer came up with something different and then a lot of "semi-copies" mushroom-up trying to capitalize on it: Vampires, werewolves, fairies, "urban-fantasies", etc. ..... boring!
I can understand that a writer has to make a living, but if all writers would go that way, instead of being true to themselves, we would still be in the medieval "fairy tales" format because they are "proven big sellers" and anything else implies going out on a limb.
No "risking", no real gain, and no satisfaction for anybody; The writer a worker bee producing to the accounting department guidelines; not an artist!
With that attitude we would not have the Harry Potter series and many other wonderful books.
Probably no Jane Austen, no Mark Twain, etc. etc.etc.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Tannun said...

Edgy probably means more blood and guts, and more explicit sex. Everything I read seems to have gore and sex lately

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It means .... go to the lowest common denominator.....write for those who'd like to go to public executions and such.
The bottom line is money only and quality can go to....
you know where!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Robin,

I think you have it right. Edgier just mean just that, closer to the edge rougher and more danger.

Janice~

1:58 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I'm thinking about this one and will get back to you...

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]