On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, August 10, 2009

Brainstorming Friends' Books

I was lying awake before dawn and had that "regrets" time. One of the regrets that I had was that I'd broken a "supportive rule."

When brainstorming with a friend, remember it is THEIR book. No matter how you think YOU could change it for the better, the set-up and the storyline, and whatever are THEIRS.

So ask about the parameters and give them help with questions/situations that they want help on.

Most of the time I've been good with this, but a couple of times I really failed, which made the brainstorming process for my friends very tough. In fact neither are still in my life, though not because of this...thus the regrets.

But do recall this "rule." And, yes, some stories won't work, but let them come to that conclusion...and in brainstorming, the story isn't necessarily set, and the writing may completely change the plot, so be fine with that, too.

May you enjoy your own creativity today,
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

..You need some frivolous time, away from any kind of work..
Good for thw soul.

3:59 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOL, I haven't written in a few days, and had a personal project to complete (ok, TAXES), and my bro had to fix the plumbing in the kitchen and there was drywall dust everywhere (still is too much around)...so....

But I read some new books and the taxes are now in the hands of my accountant.

Robin

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]