On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

What happens then? Series

I have read series that stopped in the middle -- the publisher didn't pick up the rest of the books or they didn't do well enough for the author to continue them or the author got tired of the ideas...whatever.

But there are also series that end, and have a pretty satisfying end, but people continue to wonder what happened and "foreshadowing" (hinting at what happens) isn't enough.


It's no secret that I had intended to weave Koz's story into book five or the lost book 6, but didn't have time. Luthan's and Jikata's romance would have been more developed as well as Luthan's character. He was a wild one for a while, before he saw how his example had affected his brother, Bastien, and I'd planned on bringing that out more. I could have written a novella about Julia and Trent, too. And there was another story that was set in the same universe...but I turned in Echoes in the Dark last year and it came out in January and I had a hard time promoting it since the rest of the books were out of print...so I am getting over that particular universe by now.

But I had a reader who had a multitude of questions regarding my Summoning series for Luna, and what happened later and wrote me on Facebook, so I took time to answer her questions. Since I DID stay in that universe for five/six books and several stories, I knew in general what had happened, and that's always a boon. I know some authors don't know what happened or have to struggle to think of that. I think it depends how well you know your world.

If you want more answers, let me know, and I will post it...or you can make up your own endings...I've done that myself with others' work.

Enjoy your own creative imaginings today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Mari said...

Kewl. Could you post her/your Q&A?

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader
That Q&A would be great in the Series website page!
Thanks!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to see the Q&A!

10:10 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

All right, the questions and answers are going up tomorrow here, though I might load them on the website page next month, too.

Thanks!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]