On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sad News -- Tommy "Du"



I had to put my cat Tommy to sleep today. Ever since I got him about a year and a half ago, he was skinny. We both fought to keep him healthy with an ever experimental special diet, but a few days ago he stopped eating.

Tommy is "Du" in the upcoming Heart Change. Of all the Fams in all my books, I think Du has the smallest part because there are so many characters (including Fams) in Heart Change. The Fam I focused on in Heart Change was Cratag's Beadle, not Signet's Du.

And though his unique personality might not have come through in Heart Change, Tommy was different from all my cats. He was truly a beautiful cat, very vocal with a range I hadn't heard before. He was very loving, and though he was declawed, he enjoyed hunting -- and he had a strong spirit. He was a cuddler and kept my schedule. And he was the best watch cat I ever had...tea kettle singing that I can't hear? Tommy would tell me. Did I forget dinner and it was starting to burn? He let me know. Had the racoons DARED to invade the house? Tommy was vociferous. And he always expected his due. ;)

I only wish that the fate I gave Du had been allowed to Tommy -- that there was nothing physically wrong with him, that as soon as he was rescued and safe emotionally, he began to put on weight....but that wasn't the case.

I miss him already, and am sorry that he wasn't alive to appreciate whatever little fame Heart Change would give him, but am pleased he will live on in my work.

Thank you, and please appreciate YOUR animal companions today.
Robin

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your Tommy. What ever happened to him before, at least tha last years of his life were surrounded by the love you gave him. Thank you for letting me know that he is the inspiration for "Du". When the time comes and I read Heart Change, I'll keep his picture in my mind.

Corinne

10:11 PM  
Blogger Katey Coffing, Ph.D. said...

I'm so sorry, Robin. I had to put one of my furbabies down two years ago for the same reason--he just stopped eating. It was terrible to know what was coming, but I made the same choice you did to let him depart. I'd had him for fifteen years and he enriched my life as Tommy must have done for yours. I look forward to reading about Tommy's alter ego and I'm sending virtual hugs. I'll give you a real one soon in DC.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader
Sorry about Tommy!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

My sympathies go out to you, Robin.
It's hard to lose a furbaby.
They are like family.
HUGS

5:32 AM  
Blogger NewGuyDave said...

Robin,
Sorry to hear about Tommy Du.
Dave

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, my heart hurts for you. You know you did your best.

Regards, Ruth

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was a beautiful kitty, and sounds like he was quite the character.
The world is poorer for his loss.
Mare

12:58 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you, all. I am getting along. The thing is, this house was changed for Tommy, so now it will change again.
Robin

1:45 PM  
Blogger Tiffany James said...

Robin,

So sorry to hear about Tommy. He was beautiful!

Tiffany

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]