On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lesson Learned

Photobucket

I am feeling much better today and I have learned a valuable lesson. Ditch the concept when it won't work.

So Time Shifter is gone. The heroine and her basic story stays the same, but her magical power is different now. I just could NOT make time travelling work with this heroine.

I've gotten used to ditching openings and ends and subplots, but this is the first time I couldn't make a concept/main plotline work.

I spent a week bashing my head against the concept, but just could NOT get it to work without laying down a zillion rules that would govern time travel.

I gave it up and other ideas started coming within the half hour.

Note: Time Shifter will NOT be the first of the series. The heroine is the same, but with the change of her power came a whole new set of titles. IF I get to keep the title, it will be OUT OF BALANCE (to be followed by Out of Luck and Out of Water).


I'll go back and put a note in when I announced the thing.

Meanwhile, I'm excited about the project and though I originally had 5 ideas for this world, it looks like I'll have 6 or more.

May you be excited with your work today.
Robin

5 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany James said...

Robin,

I have such respect for you. I can hardly ditch a paragraph - let alone an entire concept! This one sounds amazing, and I love the titles. :0)

OK, breaktime is over - now I'm off to write more.

Tiffany

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Mari said...

YAY!! New story! can't wait!! Please share the details when you can . . . I know it may ne awhile before everythings down on paper, though.

But I'm really happy for you that the writing is flowing now.

Mari

... now if I could just get more hints about heart journey . . . *puppy eyes* :) Or possibly more celta character interviews/shorts ... the ones on your site were quite interesting . sorry just suffering from Celtamania- how long till Nov?

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Rashda Khan said...

Hi Robin,

I'm so glad I discovered your blog. It helps to see successful authors also have to struggle, but it's even better to see them work through it. Congratulations on getting the story flowing again.

And thanks for all the help and inspiration you sent/send my way.

Rashda

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl!!
When it won't work, something else will come - and maybe somewhere down the line you can revisit the idea and it will make perfect sense then! :)

Mare

12:24 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, all. Support is a very precious thing for a person who lives an inner life with voices....;)

Mari, Heart Change is coming, I'm working on an update to my website and have already done another little excerpt from it to post. Also a cut scene from Echoes in the Dark.

Heart Journey...well I have to get to that shortly for my Critique group tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Robin

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]