On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Different Worlds

Many worlds I am comfortable in and familiar with. In fact, I would say most. This does not include Japanese anime. I am watching a series where I am trying to grasp what is going on -- and I may be reading too much into something that's supposed to be entertainment. But I like a mythology underpinning my worlds and when I don't understand it, it can be one big HUH.

In any event, to show you how clueless I can be, I was expecting some explanation all through Howl's Moving Castle as to why the hero is wearing earrings. That didn't happen, and I think I recall being told that they just wanted Howl to do so. Huh.

But it's interesting to stretch my mind and let it flail around grasping for meaning...
good to have different takes on a story, different stories that fall way beyond my mythological comfort zone.

So...enjoy all the worlds you visit today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you read the book the anime is based on, the hero has a much different and more interesting personality. He's very vain about his personal appearance.

6:58 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

ah, I knew there was a book but haven't read it. Thanks

11:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

diana wynne jones. she writes good books. there's a sequel to howl called Castle in the Air and a relatively new one called House of Many Ways that I haven't read yet myself.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]