On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, March 08, 2009

2009 Creativity Weekend

This weekend was excellent. My masquerade costume as a cavewoman artist (no speaking part, just drawing a TERRIBLE horse, much worse than any in the cave paintings I studied), with a kiss of the fingers at the end, was not as good as I envisioned. I think I should have practiced. I won an award (we all do), but can't quite recall what it was (Rose is always very clever about naming the awards).

I made two pieces of collage art and they went for a total of $1.05. Too much glue on The Sun, which I took pics of, but since it is a collage of copyrighted images, I will never post here. Liquid Dreams won the Rhapsody in Blue Award. ;) (we all get art awards, too). The big seller this year went for about $13.75, a 3D sculpture of wires and beads by a real artist.

We all worked on small slabs of sandstone with thin sticks and acrylic paint, since the theme was prehistoric man/dinosaurs which (of course) never took place. My rock art was so bad it wasn't even recognized as art. :D I think it became part of a diorama.

The highlight of my weekend was last night during the playing of The Best Party Game (folks put 5-6 VERY WELL KNOWN fictional or real people names in a bucket, divide in 2 teams, first round describe the name in as many words as you want, second round describe the person in two words, 3rd round is pantomime). I was not having a good evening (though now I know who Danica Patrick is), and was dissatisfied with my performance in rounds 1 and 2. Usually I do very well in 2. Then I hit three and was smokin'! I got 10 names in a minute. Wow.

Yes, I'm competitive, but it was a good time. Roomed with a new friend (stranger to me until this weekend).

Got home safely and found messes by Tommy so I really don't know what I'm going to do about that cat. A visit to a new vet this week, I think. Was exhausted and felt like I'd pulled my shoulder/neck muscles and I think it was due to the fat pillows at the hotel. I usually sleep on very thin pillows.

One convention down -- oh, creativity weekend. ;) Romantic Times wouldn't be as nearly as fun because I'd be me and working. Here I'm just a friend and everyone is themselves. Art on Friday evening, masquerade and skits on Saturday, art auction on Sunday. Everyone must participate in all aspects or you are not invited (back).

I talked writing with Hilari Bell and Thea Hutchinson, particularly plotting, and discussed books and Harry Potter and Twilight and authors and storytellers with others.

During the Werewolf games on Friday and Saturday night, I was et 3 times but never lynched. ;)

All in all, a good time.
May you enjoy your friends today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

It sounds like you had a great time, mostly.

Janice~

12:11 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I did have a good time...always good to get away, even if it's only a couple of hours away and over a weekend.

Robin

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]