On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More Story Than Pages

My Heart books usually come in right around 500 pages. In fact I like them to be that so I don't use more than one ream of paper (and if the ream is short, I know it).

However, I'm at the 400 page mark and know I have a LOT more story with Heart Change...two small subplots to tie up with a scene each and one major outer plot to get done. Not to mention the black moment and the romance. **Sigh**

So this means I will probably run long, and since I think my set up is slower than I like, I'll be cutting scenes from the front of the book. This can always hurt but 1) I no longer view my words and scenes as "precious" and set in stone, and 2) I've learned to assuage my hurt at cutting by putting some of the extra scenes up on my website.

In the end, all to the good.

I could, of course, start cutting and rearranging now, but it's better to get the full story down so I know how much needs to be cut.

That's all for now as I've been pushing my limits and am brain dead and only want a nap.

May you know what to keep and what to throw away today (or at least save in another file).

Robin

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]