On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Heart Change Back Cover Copy -- How it was written

This is what we ended up with. First paragraph is mine after about 5 revisions (with the exception of the word "shaken." I used "shattered," but I think shaken is better since shattered leads one to think of tragedies.

Second paragraph, the first line is mine, after about 5 revisions; second line went through 10-12 revisions and was the hardest of the whole pitch. Last line is one I revised from a friend's excellent input.

The original third paragraph was cut after 10 revisions and I noted that I had the same amount of words but 4 paragraphs and 3 or so more lines than the original. Since I was sent a "page" formatting for the original and my summary was moving over to the second page, I knew I had to cut or they would or my print would be smaller. This was when I had planned to mail it, and the copy began it's cycle of version 10-12.

The first two lines of the third paragraph consist of the important lines of the original third paragraph and fourth paragraph. Line one is mine. The first part of line two is a friend's the last half of line two is a revision on the original publisher's version.

So you see what goes into it. All in all I am happy with it, and very happy that my publisher gave me like five days to do it instead of an hour.

But it kept me up nights (the best version came to me in the middle of the night), and dogged me during the day...

May you be pleased with your work today.
Robin

-----------------------------------------------------
Signet D'Marigold's lonely life is shaken when a prophet reveals she is a catalyst for change... But to accept her new life – and the charge of a noble child, Avellana Hazel – will mean embracing a danger that may be fatal for them both.

Cratag Maytree sold his sword and traveled across continents to find a place with his distant family. His settled life is disrupted when he is loaned out as a bodyguard for Signet and Avellana. Once again he feels like an outsider.

As Signet's and Cratag's attraction develops into love, her fear of abandonment and his wariness at their different backgrounds diminish. Happiness seems within their grasp until fate makes them targets of a secret enemy they must defeat to survive...

9 Comments:

Blogger e_booklover said...

Ooh! Very nice. I can't wait to read it :).

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most excellent - CAN'T WAIT!!

I was thinking the other day about how I was waiting and waiting for Heart Mate to be delivered to my house from Barnes and Nobles when it was first published, and now, I have a whole shelf dedicated to you on my bookshelf.

Time flies so quickly!

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader
Oh Boy!..and we have to wait till november to read it!

10:27 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

And I'm only 3/4 of the way through...or close to 3/4 some climactic events coming!

Anon, thanks for sticking with me...I think I have gray hairs for every page, no, wait...

Thanks to all,
Robin

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's due out in time for my next Birthday in November?!? Now I'm not sure if I should wish time moved faster so that I can get the book or slower so I don't get any older (lol).

8:13 PM  
Blogger Tannun said...

I think faithful bloggers and readers should get early copies.

Like the day you send it off :)

10:27 PM  
Blogger Jenny Schwartzberg said...

Yum, yum! And we have to wait until next November? Groan.... Still, it will definitely be worth the wait!

10:51 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOL, when I send it off it is usually still a little rough. Then come the copy edits and final edits.

Robin

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds excellent! I can't wait to read it.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]