On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Back Cover Copy

My publishers have been sending me the back cover copy for the last couple of years. Mostly, I think, because they know that I deviate from the synopsis which they use as a basis for that copy.

Heart Change was wretched, so I've been working on it. This is not an art I have mastered. I have it out to friends and will see how it goes. Even my Bland is better than their Wretched.

This is so important, and it's frustrating not to be able to do it right. For one thing, the story is one of subtleties so trying to explain the effect of Signet's Flair in five words or so is difficult.
......

I spent hours on it as did some of my friends -- FIVE friends -- before I got it right. I think counting all the tweaking, it went through about 10-12 versions.

May you be good at what you do today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Catie said...

Cover copy is HARD!

7:31 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yeah, and I don't usually do it and usually didn't get approval so I could whine about it all I liked. I think the last couple of times all I did was tweak a sentence or two...and for Luna they sometimes tweaked them back....

Robin

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]