On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, December 06, 2008

Dark and Intense and Pseudonym

This is turning out to be a dark and intense book and I'm thinking that I may need a pseudonym. I wouldn't mind readers who crossed over to try the urban fantasy if they knew what they were getting into, but if they expected a completely sympathetic hero and a real happy romance, they aren't going to get it in this book...as it stands. At least not from the hero's point of view. I think the heroine is fine.

So I don't want people expecting an easy or lighthearted read from me zooming in on this book and deciding never to read me again...or that I'm too twisted to really be able to write good romance.

OTOH, I'm going to have to lighten him up for Chapter 2, so he may get changed a little in the scenes I've written, depends on my critique buddies.

But a pseudonym may be in order. I don't mind that, and I'll be thinking on one.

May you know and celebrate yourself today, and have a kind day.
Robin

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader..
Good idea! with a pseudonym you are free to do your own thing and at the same time be honest to your readers.
I hate it when the publishers advertise books from an Author, based in previous series and then the style/mood/content, ect. is totally different. I must admit that I put such an author in my "caution" list and never again buy their books without before reading then at the Library; and let me tell you that means less sales - I bet other readers do the same.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Jenny Schwartzberg said...

I understand using a pseudonym, but do let your faithful readers know what it is so we have the opportunity to check it out! Frankly the new book sounds intriguing.

10:50 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, Anon., I tend to do the same, and Jenny, I will.

Robin

2:48 PM  
Blogger Tannun said...

I think you should use Owen Robins, so those of us who love your books can easily figure out what your doing, AND you can compare how a male writer is treated vs a female...

3:13 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I'm pretty sure that I write in a "female" way, description/emotions etc. And Luna may have first look at this. Maybe not, the hero is currently the tortured, interesting type and getting more play. But I can tell you one thing, if it's offered to Luna they will have a certain amount of time to make up their minds, and if they want massive changes, before they buy the book, it will not happen. I am all right with walking away from Luna since I'm not in the middle of a series.

Robin

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]