On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Career Landscape

Back into the heat. I needed the heavy jacket when I left SF this am at 5:40, it was 90 by the time I arrived.

I heard that Denver was breaking all weather records, like string of days in the 90s. Both cats alive and glad to see me. I turned on Big Blue (computer) up here in the office then went down and puttered (and took a cool bath), and napped on the downstairs hide a bed.

I dreamt of designing a huge estate (and I have in my time), and I dreamt that it took several shapes, I could transfer in and out of it in the future and see how one design would look, then a second or third. One had a roaming zoo with dangerous tigers. One had an estate that was mostly flooded and beautiful with water, conserving water, and recycling it or saving it or something.

Didn't take too long for the muzziness to clear my mind and I realized it was my career.

Everyone wants books. Berkley is happy with me and wants more Heart books, they will look at my contemporary paranormals light urban fantasies. Luna wants the edgier dark fantasy trilogy.

So now I prioritize.

I DID have what I felt was a wonderful idea for transitioning from the current generation in the Heart books to the next. I think it will work well. And if it does, and Berkley buys more books, the first of the younger generation whose story will be told will be Huathe "Laev" Hawthorn. Laev is seen in Heart Fate.

Anyway, I'm hot and want to wander back downstairs.

May you enjoy any cool breezes that come your way today.
Robin

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I'll ask (I always do): what was one of the best workshops you went to in SF? And why?

8:31 PM  
Blogger Tannun said...

I can't believe this! I swear, I was going to ask you if you ever planned on doing a 'younger' generation series of novels. I wanted to know when we would see Vinni's story

6:07 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I only did the one workshop I was drafted for and didn't go to the others. My meetings or the wish to see SF, or changing hotels 3 times ate up my time.

I DID by the conference CD on mp3, I believe.

Everyone wants Vinni's story. It will be last...

Robin

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Vinni's is the last ...
then I hope we will wait a long, looong time, with many Heart books before it, about known and unknown heroes and heroines.
Looking forward to Heart Fate, we are nearly there and have my copy ordered at my local book store.. as well as asked the Library for it and see which one I get first!!
Thankssssssss.

2:08 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Anon., THANKS! When I wrote Vinni's would be last, I think I really DID mean it would be the last book. So we'll see. Next up is Laev Hawthorn. I'm pleased with the additional idea of the subplot of Heart Change that includes him.

Robin

8:06 AM  
Blogger Jenny Schwartzberg said...

Yum yum. I think it will be so much fun to read about Laev Hawthorn and to get a peek at how the older generation is doing with their kids and all!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]