On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Write Down Your Ideas!

I woke up this am and thought a little about the book, but also reviewed the proposals I mean to get out once they are done. Heart Change, Heart Journey. Work on the 3 book dark urban fantasy, and a duo that could be urban fantasy or paranormal romance.

There was a third that I was pretty excited about, but I can't recall it AT ALL and that scares me. I searched this laptop for any wordperfect files (and the 2 flash drives I have plugged in) and didn't see it.

The thing is, it was new. Since it was new, I hadn't gone over and over it in my mind enough for the concept to stick. I think I referenced it in very general terms here, so I'll search the blog later, after I work on the book. At least I'll get a general idea of the time frame I was thinking of it.

I recall talking to my mentor about it, but I talk to her about many, many ideas, and she will not remember.

I thought I wrote it down somewhere, a little blurb, but Big Blue (desktop) is acting up (bad enough so I'll have to take it in) and I can't search it. Might possibly be on baby, but I don't know.

HOWEVER, I know that if this particular idea never comes back, I'll have another that I'll be equally excited about.

BTW, woke up during a dream and it was about Da Vinci and painting, so I'm feeling pretty good. Mentor did call and do the rah-rah, did get about 10 pages done yesterday, did take a look at my next chron scene and figure where I was going.

So, write your ideas down, don't expect to remember them. And if you do forget, most likely another will come.

May you enjoy your work today.
Robin

6 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

So Does that mean only 2 more Heart books? You don't plan on a new contract for more?

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader..
Hope we get more than two Heart Books!They have built-in unlimited possibilities for any kind of stories: a whole new world of fantasy and imagination. (Past: the founders and their lives up to the trip;Present: their descendants in different parts of the planet, etc. etc. etc. Future: the mind boggles to the infinite chances! great reading.
Fun,interesting and original... More Heart Books PLS!!
"urban..anything" sorry to say, boreme to tears; haven't read one that I found original or interesting, by any writer!! I got to the point that I'll gagg if I see more books about werewolves, vampires,genies, fairies, etc. etc. and any other "cute" beings, either in the wild or in the city.

4:48 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Tannun, I usually only sell two books at a time to Berkley. Then we negotiate again.

Anon. I do have a prequel novella that I've worked on for the discovery of Celta that I call Heart & Sword since it's about the crew of Nuada's Sword.

I'm also thinking that after these two I might fast forward a little and do the younger set.

As for urban fantasy, sorry you feel that way. It may be more like paranormal romance, but to be honest it's a MUCH larger genre to sell to and I could use that.

Thanks,
Robin

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin;

You put your name on it and I am buying it.

Tine

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader..
"follow your bliss"... it works.
and like the Ricky Nelson song, you cannot please everyone.

3:04 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Anon, thanks! I do follow my bliss and am glad I'm able to go down that path.

Robin

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]