On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, June 28, 2008

DONE!

Photobucket

Whew. Yesterday morning at this time, I could have sworn I wouldn't be able to finish the book. Now some parts are rougher than I like, but it's done.

664 pages -- well, The End is on page 664, so that really doesn't count. So my first job is just to go through the thing and tighten, then I'll see if I can smooth.

146,696 words.

For wordcount, the first three chapters shouldn't be counted for this year. But I have a whole slew of stuff in my cuts file, and in my webscenes file that SHOULD be counted.

Whew.

May you enjoy your day. I may go back to bed...
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

congrats!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

That great.
I think the end is the two most satifying words that we can write as writers.

And I hate to say this really I do but unless your are writing a historical romance you need to keep your novel at 100,000 words or less. And if your going to epublish keep it around 50,000 or less than that.

I was appalled when I found that out myself, and I have my work cut out for me editing my to the right length too.

11:55 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Janice, I don't always feel the cathartic release that I used to when writing "The End."

My publishers are lenient with me, though I'm sure they'd love the books to be 100,000 words. So would I. The shorter the book, the more I can write.

Robin

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]