On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, June 30, 2008

Cut or Keep? Please let me know.

My mentor has the draft and we'll be getting together later in the am. A big part of Sorceress of Faith was Marian learning the magic.

I have quite a few scenes like that, Jikata at Singer's Abbey, learning spellknots and magic. My mentor likes the scenes, so she's fine with leaving them in, but says they can be cut. We've already decided to cut one (not sure how long it is), but others may be up.

Soooo, do you like those parts of the book, or are they not necessary to you?

Thanks, and may your day go well.
Robin

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please leave them...I find that type of information helpful. I'm a detail person, not a big picture type.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like you to leave them please. It helps me in envisioning the character. It makes her more real to me if I can see (read) her learning and adjusting. But then again I love big books :)

9:01 AM  
Blogger Suzane in VT said...

Yes. 1) definately shows character development. 2) shows a character can really do something instead of just saying later on, "Oh by the way..." 3) helps to show their journey. All stories are, for all intents and purposes, a journey. 4) helps with the passage of time within the storyline.

Dang, I just wish they'd give you the option of another book. THEN we could have ALL of it! *crosses arms, stamps foot and pouts* Do you hear me Luna? I and all the others would buy BOTH books. More profits all around. Geesh.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a reader..
Leave them on! informs and enriches!

9:59 AM  
Blogger FeyRhi said...

A keeper for certain. The longer your books are the better *G*. I completely agree with all the reasons already given.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it, keep it, keep everything!!

Tine

5:22 PM  
Blogger Tannun said...

The learning scenes are some of the best part of the books! It gives us details in the magic system, allows the characters to become more then one dimensional because they often show emotion: frustration, surprise, delight, as they learn the system.

And it showcases nicely the difference between the real world.

Sure you can say she cast a spell, but it makes it much more effective if we know the laws that govern the casting of that spell.

And it is during this training phase that the exotique's usually form the beginning relationship's.

These inter-personal relationships are much more interesting when they grow from student,friend,lover.

6:41 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I kept a couple of the learning spells (probably more than I should have). I try to make sure you know how things will work...

Robin

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]