On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fixing Mistakes

I get another shot at fixing the choreography error in Heart Dance -- where in Heart Quest Saille T'Willow says his creative talent is purfume making, then in Heart Dance he's a potter. Since Heart Dance is coming out as mass market, I get to clean up a couple of noble titles, inches into metric and this.

Since I can't change Heart Quest (and knew of this error, then it slipped my mind in the crush of getting the copy edits done and I didn't fix), I will have to add a sentence to Heart Dance saying that Saille lied to Trif Clover...remembered to be discreet at the last moment and it was his father's talent or something. That's how I intend to handle it. If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm open. ;)

May you make no mistakes that "count" today.
Robin

6 Comments:

Blogger Athene said...

Can someone have more than one artistic talent? I know I consider myself a dancer but I can also sing wonderfully according to many people that have heard me (and I accept that I have a decent voice because of taking voice lessons a little while). In addition I can also play the flute. So it never seemed like it was a major error to me. Perhaps perfuming is like my voice, one that many people recognize even thought I don't consider it a major talent.

7:56 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Excellent comment! But on Celta usually the creative talent is the most important one and is used to make the HeartGift, and in Heart Dance, I set it up (I think), that he's been a potter a long time.

But this is excellent advice and wouldn't be the first time I finessed that particular rule.

Robin

10:43 AM  
Blogger Athene said...

I've always wondered about things that are a regular part of a series, do authors codify major pieces as the go along, Do you guys write them down? Just thoughts that have gone through my mind with your series and others.

11:14 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I usually write them down. In this particular instance I changed my mind on Saille's creative talent (or he changed HIS mind) between Heart Quest and Heart Dance and I DID have time to fix the Heart Quest copy edits, made a note to do so, forgot.

I DO continue to make stuff up as I go along, but I can usually remember where I used an idea first and look it up.

Robin

2:09 PM  
Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Just out of curiosity, if it wasn't his talent, how was he affected by the pouch being mistreated? He comments on how he felt the abuse. Or is the thimble in there with the sachet?

3:48 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, perfumery is NOT his talent, pottery is. He made the thimble, wrapped it in red silkeen, put it in a tiny box, then into the pouch which circulated.

So, yes, the pouch and box etc. should be pretty much the same in Heart Quest and Heart Dance, I'll have to check, but I don't think I actually say what is IN the pouch in Heart Quest. Saille just states that his talent is scents. So I can have him "fib" and say so in Heart Dance mass market...

This has been a fun topic. THANKS!
Robin

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]