On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Motivations -- Reactions

And we have snow. November is traditionally one of Denver's wettest months along with, I think, February and March. Right now there's just a little more than an inch on my neighbor's roof as I write. The streets are wet but clear, the sidewalks have a little, so I'll go out and shovel in a bit.

I wonder about people today. Who is calling in sick and not wanting to come in for work. Who is cursing the snow as it hampers them from doing last minute Thanksgiving stuff.

At my last workplace, it would be humming with that suppressed air of excitement before a holiday. Most of the people I worked with would already be completely ready for Thanksgiving. Speculation will be going around the office as to WHEN the office will be closed early -- at three? two? NOON? Two was usually the "you can go" time. As a contract worker I usually tried to put in comp time for holidays because of course I didn't get paid (well, my agency had a rule that if you worked for nine months you got paid for Thanksgiving and Christmas if the year was a good one for them).

I miss the office some. I'll miss it today.

In my new job -- here -- if I wanted to get a hum of what people were thinking, reacting, experiencing, I'd go to the local coffee shop. But I have the house to ready for Freehold Thanksgiving on Saturday. An 18 pound turkey is defrosting in my fridge (and I don't know about that, he looks as solid as he was yesterday am -- I may start the cold water thing). I'd like to give the wooden floors a good going over, and, of course, I still have stacks of paper on the dining room table that need to be cleared.

May you have a safe, warm, day.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a nice Holiday, Robin.

Tine

10:04 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

THANK YOU, Tine.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]