On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Book = Hours/Days

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketI read the Eternal Rose by Gail Dayton to give her a cover quote, Thank God it's coming out with Juno books. In July, which means opposite Heart Dance (sorta) in review magazines so I expect Eternal Rose to take the top honors that month.

Anyway I spent most of yesterday reading it, involved in Gail's world. Wonderful, wonderful book, ends too soon, etc. And again I thought of how long it takes to read a book and set it (or toss it) aside. And how long it takes to write such a book. Months.

Writing books takes months or years -- at least for me and most the writers I know. Then you hand it to the reader and - poof! - it's over in a few hours. Of course as a reader you can go back and enjoy many more times, and get new things out of it, but still....the same with movies, they take months or years and people put their hearts into the work.

I guess I just want to say, please respect that.

May you respect yourself and your work and your characters today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the act of reading can only take hours or days, but good books, the ones you really love (and I'm including yours in here), they stay with you. They're like good friends... ones you can return to when you're happy, when you're sad, when you're lonely. And in some sense, they become part of the fabric of who you are. They're always with you.

Which is why when I walk into a bookstore or a library, I'm always hoping not just to find a book, but one that really speaks to me. And sometimes I get lucky, like when I saw 'Heart Mate' on the shelf at my library a few years ago. :)

So, I guess my point is, reading may be a transitory action, but the work involved, the words themselves, they live forever.

Laurie

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fully agree with anon; read a lot but only go back to and buy the books that hold my attention...Like yours: especially the Celta ones, I have read them in sequence several times because they fire my imagination and help with daydreaming.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good books last a lifetime, they are the gifts you pass on to your friends, the ones you buy your daughter, and the very best ones you keep by your bed to read when you need them!

2:30 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you all for reminding me of what I know as a reader and sometimes forget as a writer.

Robin

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]