On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Contracts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketI got my Luna contract yesterday and looked at it, had a question and emailed my agent. I will read it later.

I know I've said this before ALWAYS READ YOUR CONTRACTS YOURSELF, DO NOT DEPEND ON ANYONE ELSE. My agent is a very busy woman and I would bet that if anyone looked at this contract, it was to check on payment amounts and terms and that was it. So it's up to me.

I noticed I will be getting 96 author copies instead of 75. I knew this change was coming since my friend told me that the publisher doesn't want to break up boxes of books. I am swimming in books now, especially What Dreams May Come, which I have lots in trade paperback, then mass market. OTOH, I have, maybe, 2 copies of the first printing of HeartMate with the original cover and 5 of HeartMate 3rd printing with the original cover.

I need to figure out where to put all these books. Maybe I will send some to one of the conferences as a give away. Celebrate Romance, maybe, Keepers of the Flame next year...

I also saw that I get 3 copies of any other editions of my book (for instance, foreign editions). I'm going to check my previous contract and see if the same thing is there, because I know Protector of the Flight is out electronically, and no one has emailed me anything...does that sound silly? I read ebooks all the time, though I have the old .lit which isn't supported much anymore.

So that's that, and I was late this am because one of the cats was generous enough to unplug my modem. At least the cable didn't come down with the rain, which is what I originally feared.

Now off to critique group with my revised Urban Fantasy opening!
May you be satisfied with your work today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing the link!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to put a link for you in my previous note. It seems that life is stranger than fiction, as usual; looking at timesonline.co.uk I read about the life of author Ian McEwan.. amazing!! If you have not looked at this website you will find interesting things in books and many other subject.
Hope you have a wonderful day with your friends and family. Thanks again

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]