On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Autobuy Authors -- Angst in Stories

I stared at Elizabeth Lowell's new book. I wanted to read it, but I don't quite trust her. Elizableth Lowell is a great favorite of mine, especially with her romantic suspenses with more than a dollop of romance. But she is also the Queen of Angst. I've read most of her books and some of them were SO incredibly wrenching.

I definitely do not need any fictional wrenching in my life right now. RL is doing fine with that.

One of my best writing buddies, Sharon Mignerey, is also incredible at emotional angst (you noticed there was an "Most Emotional" category in the Anne Bonney contest, right?). Sharon would bring her pages to critique with a grin. "I'm going to rip your heart out." I love Sharon, and I love her writing, and I buy her books and read them, but I definitely flinched when I heard that. She is wonderful at angst, too. And most of the time I really don't want my heart ripped out. (I prefer my heroines to do the ripping -- literally).

So I passed on the Elizabeth Lowell book. But only for now. Not only are her stories wonderful, her technique is great to study. When I feel I can handle some real angst, I'll give it a shot.

May you write incredible emotion today.

Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]