On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, November 17, 2006

Character Motivation - Plot

I was listening to The Search by Iris Johansen and found out it was abridged. I don't often listen to abridged, but I really wanted somethng for the car. Anyway, what I think is that they cut most of the character motivation and left most of the plot. There was just enough character stuff there to make the story rather believable.

Now, as far as I am concerned, motivation is key, because if you don't understand WHY a character is doing what they are, the story is unbelievable and you lose the reader. I'm pretty sure the heroine's growth arc was trashed.

So I'll go buy the book to really find out what happened.

I don't like abridged books, and if I were the abridger, I wouldn't want my name on it.

I've learned that some books only come out abridged in audio. Since I have the audio rights to all of my work (and haven't tried to sell them yet), I can take the high ground and say that I don't think I'd care to have my work out there abridged -- though, it might make readers go back to look for the full work, as I'm going to do.

So it's a tradeoff. What do you think?

May all your work come full-fleshed for you today.
Robin

6 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I hate abridged books. I've never heard one that made an actually appealing book on its own. I'd rather shell out the extra money to buy the unabridged version. I don't like reading things twice because I remember the content pretty well after one read. It's worse when I hear it. So I won't listen and then buy the book, too. But that's me. Nobody I know has a problem with rereading, though...

9:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The only time I might consider reading an abridged book would be if I absolutely knew I wouldn't read the book otherwise.

Just finished Heart Quest. Wow, I just loved it. Really looking forward to Heart Match.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never, ever do I read or hear any abridged book!! That is for students to pass their exams with minimum effort! and only those who hate books.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never buy abridged books of any kind. I really cannot stand abridged audio books. I want the full story as the Author intended.

6:57 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate the information. I don't care for abridged either, but I made an exception and wasn't too happy with it.

Thanks again,
Robin

6:13 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

I only listen to abridged books if it's a fluffy, plot-driven read and I can't find any unabridged books on the library shelf that I want.

The only audio book I've ever bought was Stephen King's On Writing. I've listened to certain parts of it twice, and I'd like to have it in print as well. But that's nonfiction, which is a different experience.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]