On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, July 31, 2006

The Party's Over..

And if we aren't openly glad, we are secretly glad. I didn't even think of catching up on this blog yesterday when I arrived to a hot house (with no food)...and there's that flat tire I absolutely positively have to deal with (been driving around on a donut).

I think Mary Jo Putney said that National is three days of introverts pretending they're extroverts. So we're all happy to be back home and writing (if not working the day job).

LINNEA WON BEST PARANORMAL!!!! That is so cool. I had a drink with her and met her delightful husband. She didn't win best first book, but then, neither did I...nor any other paranormal author. Doesn't happen.

My mentor learned an inner truth -- she's pretty much happy with her career as it is. I learned some interesting facts about my career (to be announced later), and saw my agent in action. My roomie, Janet, attended many seminars and bought tapes on site (as opposed to the mp3s which will be delivered in SEPTEMBER, like I did). So she had a refreshing of information.

Unless things change in a big way for Kay and Janet, neither of them will be returning to an RWA conference in the future. Many writers are hesitant about going back to Dallas next year.

I didn't get to see any of Atlanta, not even the aquarium, except from the Sundial (the revolving restaurant), that, of course was my own choice of priorities. It was interesting being downtown, but I like staying at places where you can really get out and walk and explore from the hotel. I didn't schedule my clothing right, and I didn't get enough sleep which makes me cranky. The roomie thing went ok, though. Kay has a daughter in NY, so from now on, she will continue to make trips there to meet with her editors. It's a different way to go.

I will probably go to Dallas...I'll decide next year.

May you all feel good writing today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are authors hesitant to go back next year?

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hear more about your future plans and books.

11:04 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

First, most of us like to walk around the hotel. There usually isn't much of that in Dallas. Next, the conference was in Dallas last year (I think, TX anyway). Romantic Times is in TX next year, too. Essentially, we're tired of TX.

There will be a lot more in San Francisco in 2008, I'm sure.
Robin

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, see, I don't care what city it's in because I'm there for the conference itself, the networking, the energy, and I rarely leave the premises. It could be anywhere and I'll go.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]