On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Networking

One of THE reasons to come to conference is to network. There are, of course, the editors and agents that you may speak to in a more relaxed setting than pitching across a table. I saw the sr. editor for Luna several times last night (and am still meeting with her this morning).

My roomie, Janet Lane, is attending PRO panels (that is the status of those who have finished at least one book, gotten "declined" by an editor or agent) today. My mentor, who I told to call the RWA national office and TELL them she was multi published forever, does not have the acceptable stripe to her badge to attend the PAN (published author network). And I am incredibly cranky this morning (got in 1:30, up at 5:30), so I will hang with her and wander until about 11 am when I will go prepare for my meeting with my Luna editor.

Since I AM cranky, I'll have to schedule some time alone (in the hot tub maybe?) where I can compose myself so if I have to handle disappointment tonight I won't be ungracious (ok, I really meant to say throw myself on the floor and beat my fists and head up and down and turn red -- which I never did because I was The Perfect Child ;) ) And if I can write that, you KNOW I'm cranky...no tea this am yet.

I met with the Squires last night for a late dinner and we talked about the business. Only some technique and stories, and a lot about the business.

As usual, it ended up with us shaking our heads and saying "This is a funny business."

May your writing be without constraint today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Rene said...

Thank you so much for blogging about your adventures at National for those of us stuck home.

Harry & Susan are a great pair. They are members of my chapter and have always been gracious and helpful, as well as both being marvelous writers.

Good luck tonight. If you do suffer disappointment, grit your teeth and throw the tantrum in your room. I'm a tantrum-gal myself, a talent I've seemed to have passed on to my children.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin,
good luck tonight! Fingers & toes crossed for you!

9:28 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

THANKS!

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]