On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Literacy Signing, Knight Party

First, I'm writing between the end of the literacy signing and going to the Futuristic Fantasy & Paranormal chapter do. I think I'll be footing the bill for the daily internet fee....however, at least one of you dropped by and said hi, so I guess I owe you! ;)

The Knight agency party was incredible. Beautiful, fab food (especially the made-as-you-watched pralines which I inhaled far too many of)...speaking of that, I'm hungry, but I don't think I'll be getting anything to eat unless I head for the food court and some stuff might be closed.

I've given away many, many walet calendars, almost my whole stack. So that's nice, folks might be coming to my website, then this blog. Huh.

I met with my agent this am, then my editor and agent (Berkley) this pm and saw my agent in action. AWESOME!! I hope to have a little news later.

I'm not up for awards until tomorrow night, but it's fun to hang with the FF&P crowd who see things in the skewed way I do.

Oh, and I sold quite a few copies of Sorceress of Faith and a nice number of Guardian of Honor and some of the anthology What Dreams May Come. There was a small snafu about the books (assigned to Sherrilyn and not me), but I straightened that out far before the signing.

The noise was hideous. Hundreds of women confined in a large conference ballroom.

Hmmm. What else? I'm hungry, so I guess I'll go.

Sorry to miss yesterday, but DIVA woke me at 3 am and I got to bed at midnight Eastern, but both my roomies had trouble travelling. Tough.

So, wish me luck at the Daphnies (Heart Choice) and the National Readers Choice (Guardian of Honor) tomorrow. I'd really like Guardian to win a BIG award. I personally think the book deserves it. ;)

Take care, and may your writing dreams come true.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you checked fully the origin and meaning of the initial S.N.A.F.U?

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SNAFU
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about SNAFU as an acronym. For other uses, see Snafu.
"SNAFU" is an acronym meaning things are in a mess – as normal. The most commonly accepted rendering is "Situation Normal: All Fucked Up". In modern usage, this rendering is commonly used, as is a "snafu" referring to an otherwise normal situation that suddenly went awry. The acronym is believed to have originated in the US Army during World War II when Don Taylor and Dominick Trapasso of the 160th Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division, California National Guard at Camp San Luis Obispo, California in April 1941 practiced sending encoded radio messages.[1] It is also the name of a cartoon United States Army training video as well as the main character, Private Snafu, in the video. SNAFU's meaning was later modified to "Situation Normal, All Fouled Up" for more polite conversation. There are a number of slang army acronyms that are similar to SNAFU. They include:

SNAFU - Situation Normal: All Fucked Up.
SUSFU - Situation Unchanged, Still Fucked Up.
FUMTU - Fucked Up More Than Usual.
FUBB - Fucked Up Beyond Belief.
TARFU - Things Are Really Fucked Up.
TOFU - Things Ordinary: Fucked Up.
GFU - General Fuck Up.
SAMFU - Self Adjusting Military Fuck Up.
BOHICA - Bend over, here it comes again.
TUIFU - The Ultimate In Fuck Ups.
FUBAR - Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition/Repair/Reason/Redemption.
FUGAZI - Fucked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In; Refers to out-of-control situation such as a chaotic jungle warfare combat environment
JANFU - Joint Army/Navy Fuck-Up; apparently used by British troops in WWII.
JAAFU or JAAFFU - Joint Army-Air Force Fuck-Up; the use of JANFU combined with a radical increase in joint-forces operations since 1989, has led to the rare but increasing use of JAAFU/JAAFFU.
DILLIGAF/DILLIGAS - Do I Look Like I Give A Fuck/Shit? Interogative form of, "(It) don't mean nothing." Both often heard in Vietnam.
TINS - This Is No Shit! Often seen in veterans' forums.
MUBAR - Mash up beyond all recognition. Refers to being proper mash up.
SMUBAR - Semi mash up beyond all recognition. Not quite MUBAR but well on the way.
BOYC - Bitches, obey your commander! (Or "Balls on your chin")
YUCATAN - You're Under Certain Annihilation Throw A Nuke!
Note: In situations where 'fucked' is inappropriate, it is often replaced with 'fouled'

Electronics engineers say that SNAFU and FUBAR were used before the war by repairmen sent out to repair telephone booths. They had to report the situation at arrival to the scene, often on a very bad line, so they developed these acronyms to make themselves understood.

Snafu is also used in the Illuminatus trilogy and in the Private Snafu series of World War II animated cartoons.

Contents [hide]
1 Other Uses
2 See also
3 References
4 External links

8:17 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Anonymous...I knew what SNAFU meant but not the orgins. Also the other that I've heard of is FUBAR. Thanks! As for Janet, I'm a little paranoid, if she's a little late or vanishes for any good reason, my imagination goes into overdrive.

Robin

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]