On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, May 05, 2006

Full Time Writer Again

Yes, the original project is over. Yes, they offered me another. Yes, I turned it down. I had to.

I still have mixed feelings. If I weren't behind deadline, I'd know myself better, I think. If I wasn't single and the sole support of myself and cats (family is tapped out due to Black Sheep, so very little help there unless I was desperate, and that means working first) I'd know myself better. Maybe.

The thing is, I'm not a BIG writer, and my money definitely isn't steady, reliable or big, either. I just got paid (the check is on it's way to me), for a book I turned in December 6. That's not exactly something I can count on to feed myself. Last year all my tidy ideas about $$ and proposals and plans were thrown out the window when I had to revise Sorceress of Faith. I've never caught up.

The first week I was a demon writing and working and burnt myself out by Thursday and never quite recovered the rhythm. It was definitely harder trying to write after work.

OTOH, I'm continuing to come up with ideas. Continuing to try and do something major AND continue with my regular stuff.

I have 3 good proposals for Heart Books out (and THEIR contractual deadline is running). I should hear by this time next month. I still LIKE the Heart series, I'm bringing along some secondary characters.

I have the last 3 Luna books to plot and submit as proposals and a twist of the Dimensional Corridor and I could send average American women to a new world....

But all this takes time and it's time that I'm not necessarily getting income.

A thorny question.

May all your thorny questions afflict your characters today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, first-time visitor. I just dropped in to say that while I loved Guardian of Honor and Sorceress of Faith, I wailed in horror when I saw I had to wait another year for the next book!

BTW that's a good thing, lol--the wailing that is. I hate with a passion reading good books that make me stay up until the wee hours reading, and then have to wait for so long (whine) until the next one.

I like the setting and concept of Lladrana. I really can't wait until you publish the next story.

May all your words flow effortlessly and your fingers build your stories quickly. Your audience awaits.

12:58 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Kaelle, that's just what I need to keep my butt in the chair and work with (not on or against, Calli an Marrec of Protector of the Flight).

Robin

6:12 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Good luck, Robin! I admire your courage to "go all the way." It's hard to plan and budget without a steady income. Those advance checks look big until you take out taxes, commission, promo budget, etc., and then think, "I have to live on that?"

I have the last 3 Luna books to plot and submit as proposals and a twist of the Dimensional Corridor and I could send average American women to a new world....

Does this mean there could be more Luna books after the 6? (she asked hopefully)

10:15 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, I did say to the day job that I'd be available in June...since I'm at the end of my Heart book and Luna book contracts and no news on negotiations, I thought that wise.

As for the Luna books, it's only a big maybe. We'll see what happens down the road.
Robin

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]