On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Scene Direction -- Options

Image hosted by Photobucket.com A different meaning of the word "options" this week. I was stuck. Yes, I get that way. And I finally figured out WHY I was stuck was because I had too many options for ending a scene. My heroine, Calli, is rescuing horses. She has them in town and now needs to do something with them. They're abused and distrustful and disturbed. She has a VERY important appointment she MUST keep. What should I do? This was one of those things that I needed to get past and couldn't to proceed with the book. Nothing came pouring from my fingers, I THOUGHT of several ways.

She could leave the horses where they were and hire folks to watch them, but she needs to be able to trust these people (difficult when she's just been there about a day).

I could introduce the Town Hero (coming up next if I sell the last 3 books) and have them interact and him take care of the horses.

I could have someone good with horses come down from the castle and take care of them.

I could have someone good with horses come down from the castle and work with them and take them back.

I could have some volarans (winged horses) fly in and lead the horses back.

I could have Calli develop her magical Power and lead the horses back.

I could have Sinafin, the magical being, lead them back.

I ended up merging the last two...and they were the ideas that took me the longest to think of, thus being stuck...I really wanted to wrap up this scene before I moved onto something else. I'm actually up to it in my Chronological Writing.

I think if I'd actually sat down with a pen and paper and listed what could be done, I might have figured this out earlier. And, because this is Horse Stuff about which I know little (but am learning more), I had problems visualizing the scene and letting it come naturally.

May all your scene transitions go well today.
Robin

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin,

Really looking forward to this book. As a horse lover/owner, I'm excited to see to what extent you will incorporate real horse behaviors into your story.

Horses have a really fascinating group behavior dynamic...there's a real pecking order that gets established...usually an older mare is at the top of the heap. Individually, the best indicators (in my experience) of mood and intention can be gleaned from observing their ears, eyes and believe it or not...tail.

Ramona

1:01 PM  
Blogger moonhart said...

I know next to nothing about horses, but still can't wait to read this one. Actually, thank GOODNESS the SoF release date is almost here.

I will have happy reading in February!

terri

2:08 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, Ramona, I'll do my best -- especially with real horses, but with the volarans, who are thinking-beings, they will be a little different. More like my animal companions in my other books. I rationalize this that since they can fly, they have been less preyed upon than horses, though they do still react like a prey animal in some ways.

Robin

8:22 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Enough readers have an intimate knowledge of horses that it's essential to get this stuff right. I've tossed a couple of books against the wall for having horses behave like dogs, or worse, treating them like cars, convenient methods of transportation that need no care before or after the ride.

(But I always go pick them off the floor again if the story's good.)

Definitely have a horse-savvy person read your ms if the animals are an important part of the story. It's the little details, as you know, that give verisimilitude.

I really can't wait to read this one! Sigh...a year and a month away.

4:39 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

I know tons about horses--grew up with them. Feel free to send any questions my way.

10:21 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, all, and sex. I'm working on it...
Robin

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]