On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Developing World Building

Image hosted by Photobucket.comI have something in my Luna books I call "the Snap." The underlying premise of the books is that average American women are Summoned to another land to fight horrible monsters invading the place. "The Snap" is when Mother Earth "calls" to our heroine with enough force to pull her back to Colorado and her old, interrupted life (time passes the same in both worlds since they're close to each other in the Dimensional Corridor).

Now, I had the idea of "the Snap" since I first started telling myself these stories before I fell to sleep, that is, before I began seriously writing.

But I've had to think about this item in my world building. Why does the Snap happen when it does? What criteria need to be met in Lladrana to trigger the Snap? I wasn't completely sure in my own mind (and the reader and heroines STILL don't know) until the Snap happened for Marian in Sorceress of Faith (out January 31, folks!)

Since I've been writing Protector of the Flight, I've come to realize that there are criteria that must be met on Earth to trigger the Snap, too.

No, you won't find out until the heroines figure it out, *wicked, evil grin,* and right now, they don't have enough data (as Marian would say) to hypothesize. The Lorebook of Exotiques (reference materials are called Lorebooks), comprised only a couple of pages before Marian got her hands on it. I'm not sure when everyone will put all the pieces that encompass "the Snap" together, perhaps the end of book 4, if I sell book 4...

MORAL OF THIS BLOG, WORLD BUILDING SHOULD BE AN ONGOING THING. **AND** IF YOU DON'T KNOW EXACTLY HOW SOMETHING WORKS CONSCIOUSLY, IT'S PROBABLY IN YOUR SUBCONSIOUS AND WILL COME OUT AT THE PROPER TIME. (I know I'm violating some sf/f writers' rules here by not having every bit of my world done before I start writing).

May your world building be fun and interesting today.

Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably know, but just in case, Google.map has detailed maps, and satelite views of just about the whole World. It might help; in any case it is wonderful to explore.

2:26 PM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Thank GOODNESS, I don't have to figure it all out because the longer I spend there, the more the world evolves.

I might know everything, but I sure as heck couldn't complete the story.

;)

terri

2:49 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Reader, I didn't know. I'll definitely bookmark that page (already have advanced search and advanced image search bookmarked).

Terri,

I think even those writers who figure it out modify their world as they go along.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]