On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Option Clause -- Option forever...

This is my reading and understanding of the contract. Do NOT rely solely upon it. Contact an agent or an attorney.Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Again, this may deal with world building or a series...In this particular contract there is a clause that if I can't reach an agreement with my publisher or even another publisher for the option book, then my publisher gets the right to see the NEXT book first, too "succeeding book-length work of futuristic romance." That is, if my option book is Love and Kisses and neither my publisher nor anyone else wants it, and the next proposal I put forth is Kissy Love, then my publisher gets to look at Kissy Love first, then if they don't want it and I sell it to someone else, this option clause is finally ended.

I'm not sure when this clause hit my contract. I don't recall it in my first couple, but in any event, this clause is STRICKEN (line marked through) on my contract, so I don't need to worry about it. If you see a clause like this in your contract, and you anticipate writing a series, you may want to consider striking it also.

That's it for the option clause, and aren't you glad. I'm thinking about talking about plotting on Monday.

May your ideas come fresh and fast today.

Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Very informative. Thank you for posting this series on the Option Clause. I haven't seen a contract yet, but I feel better equipped for the day I might.

9:34 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Sara, I appreciate it. Again, I'd have liked to have seen something like this before I got my first contract.

Robin

9:51 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Thanks Robin this is GREAT stuff.

terri

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]