On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Fresh Eyes

Image hosted by Photobucket.com I have a proposal that my best critique buddies have seen A LOT -- we're talking about 5-6 revisions. I'm about to review and revise, and was going to follow one of my group's advice...problem is, I've been rethinking. She said I crammed too many things in the beginning...too many concepts...moved too fast. That is probably true.

But I've noticed books move at the speed of light lately. I asked my mentor, but she said she couldn't tell because she'd seen the d**n thing too often and knew what was coming. I had one of my other friends email me general comments, so I don't feel good about tapping her again.

I need fresh eyes. So I put a little "Wanted" out on one of my loops and will contact one of the generous people (I suggested a trade -- I'm a pretty good, and tough, critiquer) who responded.

I will never give up critique.

So may you write without critique today and may it need very little in the long run!
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

Out of curiousity, what are some of the loops you belong to? I'm looking for a good one for fantasy, sci-fi, or paranormal romance.
Thanks!
And good luck with finding a critiquer.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Hi Robin!
Yes, I second Crystal's "Good luck with finding a critiquer"

I was asked to do that for someone and it's fun. She's having me come at it from a readers perspecitve and I'm happy to say that she's finding my questions useful. What a "WOW" feeling.
So, I can see the importance of "fresh eyes".
So, yes..Good Luck!!

BTW - I also dropped by to wish you a Merry Christmas!
Or A Merry Hoiday Season if you celebrate something different.
Either way, it's a wonderful time of year.

All the best!
M

11:34 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

I can understand that. When people know the idea, your writing style, and what you "want" to get across, sometimes your CPs eyesight can become "muddied."

You put out the call and prolly got more than enough responses (because I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting the chance to read your stuff.)

At my one crit group, we read our chapters out loud. Now since I have a theatre background and I "hear" my characters, I have to make sure that I have written my characters with clarity so that my readers will get it without the benefit of my flamboyant reading. By reading aloud, I tend to poison my cps in my favor. I have been told that my readings make them forget that they are critting. That's good and bad.

Good that I suck them in.

Bad if I distract them from their job.

LOL!

Then I need cold readers.

terri

12:31 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Crystal. I belong to the paranormal romance group that is hosted by http://www.writerspace.com/paranormalromance

And for writing info, I belong to the FF&P chapter of Romance Writers of America. http://www.romance-ffp.com I think.

Michele, thanks. I've gotten some offers, but haven't followed up, bad me.

Terri, we all read aloud but don't do dramatic readings. Just stumble along. I had one crit buddy (died of breast cancer last year) who had belonged to a previous group and said they tried to read flat so folks could concentrate on the writing.

Love,
Robin

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]