On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Best Advice For Writers

A while back I was asked the best advice I'd ever gotten on being a writer. A bit of this might have been used for a Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Newsletter, but not the whole thing.

I've received lots of advice (and read even more) from various people over the years I've been writing. For me, advice usually ends up as little catch phrases I can easily remember like "Don't ever compare yourself to other writers," or "Don't judge your previous work by what you're capable of now. If you could have done better, you would have."

Maybe it should be less negative and more lyrical:

You are so unique,
Exceptional ideas,
Prismatic snowflake

Silver of the past
Is not the gold of today
Yet brings rare value

(I had to do the haiku because my Mom just got back from a 3 week trip from Japan where she was named the haiku queen)

May your words come in many forms today,
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Cute Hiaku...haven't done that since grade school.
Strange how I'm hearing more and more about it.
Happy to hear your Moms back safe and sound.

9:40 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOVE Haiku, and like writing it, too, hardly the Japanese form, though.

Robin

10:28 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Man your haikus are sooo much better than mine.

I put mine on the Nano thread for us sllooooowwww writers:

Really hate writing
Just being masochistic
Because here I am

Well, hey! It's a killer month.

terri

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]