On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Where Ideas Come From

Today I'm going to visit an old critique buddy whose adoption of a child is final. A PARTY! I met Anne at the first real Critique Group I attended on the way to becoming a serious writer -- after the first Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers' Conference.

I think I told the story before, but you'll have to suffer through it again. When I developed the "charm key" for one HeartMate to find another in Heart Duel (and that took a couple of times), Anne said if she'd had one she'd go door to door (with gestures). We all laughed, but we all remembered. At the time, I didn't know who would go door-to-door, but when Trif Clover started appearing on the scene, I figured she had the temperment to do so. I also decided that a Tinne Holly/Trif Clover would be too many T's, and too darn frenetic to write -- at the beginning they were very much alike. Who was Trif's opposite? Older, solid, quiet Winterberry -- who until Heart Quest didn't have a first name. And a May-December story would be good -- as well as throwing in another conflict or two. Excerpts in the back of Heart Choice and on my READS page, or maybe Acrobat will open it up here. http://www.robindowens.com/images/01HQ.pdf

So Heart Quest, with Trif Clover going from door to door, will be dedicated to Anne. I don't know that I would have thought of the idea...and it's been MANY years, but finally the story is being written.

Not my idea at all, and sometimes those are the very best.

May many ideas whisper in your ears today.

Love to all,
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]