On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Dangling Threads

I worked on some scenes this morning, sewing together two and starting two more, and in all I wrote enough so that when I come back to them I won't go "Huh? What was I thinking? Where should this go?" and I also left some handy threads dangling, a sentence that needed a followup, a question in dialogue that needed an answer, an action that needed a reaction.

The blank page can be frightening, so leaving a thread dangling can be a real lifeline. You (I) don't just sit there and think about reading email or picking at my cuticles or downloading from emusic.

If you can't write out a scene due to time constraints (such as going to the day job), or it dries up on you, at least push yourself to a few lines that will give YOU a hook to work on when you come back to it.

That's my writing advice for the day. May multiple hooks come to you.
Love,
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

I tend to write in scenes and chapters as well, and I figure if I don't want to come back to find out what's going to happen, then why would my readers? That rule has served me well in getting me back to the keyboard in the past.

7:31 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

An excellent perspective!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Glad I read today's post.
It's prodded the girbels to run the wheel a bit.
Thanks!

6:09 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

You're welcome Michele. Any words that can help are Good.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]