On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Reality?

As a reader, every now and then I get immersed in another world so much that when I face "reality" I feel disoriented and it takes me a few minutes to figure out that the world I've been living in isn't the real one.

It happened first when I was going to grad school and working nights -- reading the Dorothy Dunnett Lymond series. Earlier this year, it was when I did watched, and rewatched, "Firefly."

Now, it's listening to the Magic Time books by Marc Zicree et al. Serious disorientation (and Thank Heavens!). Luckily the fruity male readers in Angelfire were a little over the top, and the female as well, but just not as much.

Interesting world. I've got Ghostlands in my hot little hands and it seems to be excellent, too, though since I'll be reading it instead of listening, it will be a slightly different experience.

I think a reader losing themselves in my worlds would be the ultimate compliment. Maybe the Heart series is long enough for that now, if one zoomed through them right after another.

Just a comment.

Love to all,
Robin

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

..I certainly enjoy imagining and living in your Celta world; this is why I look forward to a long series of novels in Celta. Maybe we'll be lucky and we'll get many books there like Terry Pratchett's in the Disk World. Thanks for the change to escape....

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..I certainly enjoy imagining and living in your Celta world; this is why I look forward to a long series of novels in Celta. Maybe we'll be lucky and we'll get many books there like Terry Pratchett's in the Disk World. Thanks for the chance to escape....

9:32 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

I kind of did that. After Heart Mate, I didn't read the rest until the last one was about to come out. Then I was able to read them to the exclusion of all else. I've only been able to do that 3 other times,no wait, 4...I just read Dead Witch Walking et al..and I'm in the middle of Jim Butchers series....but you knew that, LOL
So, consider yourself successful,... really!
If the doubt gremlin raises its unwelcome head, smack it down with my blog post...

10:26 AM  
Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

I've done that with your Heart series. When I do it, the characters come alive and I can't help imagine what would happen to some of the secondary characters if I stayed a little longer. I might have to go re-read them all again.

11:15 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, all! (Yes, that's a three-thanks in Celtan culture). It makes me gird my loins to write tonight.

Thanks again,
Robin

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]