On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Appearance of Characters

Yes, I know I tend to have a cast of thousands. I'm pretty sure it makes a book less accessible for readers, but its something I have to work at to keep reasonable, and when I'm writing fast, I can't. Someday, when I am a successful full time writer, I hope to have the time to really CRAFT a book. Hopefully I won't overthink it...

Anyway, I was writing this morning and Trif (my heroine) turned around and there was Vertic (FamFox of my hero, Ilex Winterberry). I had no clue that Vertic would show up, but a little set up conversation occurred and it felt right.

This is one of those wonderful things that happens when you're a writer – the appearance of a character at the right time, an unknown plot twist.

I'm sure it's what keeps us writing.

Love to all, and may you receive an inspired surprise today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

I enjoyed the intro of another "fam" animal. Happy to hear its playing a role in this story. They have such personalities of their own...must be fun to explore.
Sounds like it anyway.

6:52 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, I got up early and tweaked a couple of pages this am, then took a bath and read my Red Fox book. I am going to have to put in more "chortling" "yuk,yuk,yuk" is how the researcher described it...

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is nice to read a book where the writer has not dumbed down things .... when I feel that the writer has patronized or insulted me I never read one of his/her books again. Very insulting.
Why not assume that your readers are intelligent rather than stupid?

8:26 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Reader. I worry all the time that my work isn't easy to understand, that people who read it must have some experience of fantasy, science fiction, or paranormal romance. I REALLY appreciate your comment.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]