On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Staring at the Ceiling

So. What works for you to spark inspiration? Walking is good for me, sometimes exercising. I've heard some people get the best ideas driving (and consider a microcasette recorder for this). That's happened occasionally for me, too. My best critique buddy works in the garden (and probably Nora Roberts does, too. I understand she has fabulous gardens).

When I'm asked this, I usually say staring at the ceiling -- and it usually brings a smile or laugh. But it's true. I have a waterbed and I stare at my white pebbled textured ceiling and let my mind wander (or think hard). If I wiggle, the bed and I rock and it's more fun, though that's an effort. And I repainted my bedroom walls with that sponge technique so now they can be REALLY pink or quite coral or a mixture, depending on the light. So sometimes I look at the walls.

I'm better at letting my mind rest than I was, and I believe that's what's needed...a quiet mind to let ideas free-float, shape, re-shape, metamorphose, and stick.

My 2 cents for the day. But if one thing doesn't work for you, try another -- candlelit baths, working with your hands on another creative project, washing dishes, vacuuming, cooking.

A quiet mind can be a very good thing.

Love to all and may inspiration leak through your busy thoughts from your quiet mind today!
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Catie, I trust you. You will figure it out because you're a good writer.

As for me -- huh, as I was drifting off to sleep last night, I figured out a problem...but I think I've addressed that here before.

Robin

6:57 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Me, too, Catie! Showering and driving. When I used to have a clothesline, hanging up clothes was very meditative, too. Throwing them in the dryer just doesn't have the same contemplative rhythm.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]