On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, September 16, 2005

Publishing Firedrill

I received a note from my Luna editor last evening (you know, it always seems like quitting time Thursday afternoon in NY that I get these little prizes), that the Knight Protector name has to go. She said they wanted something active like Defender. Huh. I LIKE Knight Protector, it seems active to me. But this is one of those Pick Your Battles sort of things, and in this instance, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t win anyway. When a publisher wants a new title it’s rare for an author to win. I’ve only known one person to do it.

And I’m NOT a good title crafter. One of my mss. was known as Opus 3, and Guardian of Honor was always “The Summoning, Castle – Exotique Alexa” until crunch time a while back and I set down and wrote out a LONG list of titles. Didn’t learn what was chosen until I attended a live chat…So I gave her Defender of Trust. And since the Coloradan woman Summoned will be living with the Chevaliers (Knights) and the volarans (flying horses) think she has been Summoned for THEM, I said also Defender of the Flight.

And I was told to get art ideas to them immediately, too. I think I’ll talk on that tomorrow.

Love to all,
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Defender works.
I've heard titles are some of the hardest things to think of; a few words to summerize or capture the essence of an entire book. How daunting.
I wish you the best in inspiration!!

10:42 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

See I really LIKE Defender of Trust. It keeps that 3 word thing going and the people trust the Chevaliers to protect them.

And Knight Protector? Well...I think NIGHT protector and that is a whole different image.

Maybe that's what your editor was getting too.

Jamie? Are you wearing your Night Protector? The doctor told you to wear it.

Aww moooooom!

;)

Terri

6:23 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOL, Terri. As long as it sounds right. And I thought of the volarans trusting in Calli to do right by them -- ackowledge their status as equal partners in battle, not possessions. Calli would be the Defender the winged horses Trust....

Thanks all, you make me feel better about this...and I think I had to wear that teeth protector thing at night, so I am now reconciled.

Robin

7:51 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Glad to help.

;)

Terri

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]