On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, September 12, 2005

Saving Your Work -- Redundancy is Not Too Much

All right. I looked at my laptop files, my desktop files, and my 512 flash drive for the 1/2 of the blog that didn't get loaded. Not on any. Not in my email. So I am hoping I saved it (I don't often save my blog entries) to a flash drive I keep at work in case my house burns down...yes, writer = neurotic.

Yes, I save to all. I also have a couple of gmail accounts. One for author/promo/website stuff and one as a backup for my writing.

Too many times in the past I've ripped my office apart to find something on a scrap of paper, or searched and searched my computer for that bit of brilliance...I spoke on organizing files for a pantzer and on saving. And the best desktop search program I've found (mostly because I use wordperfect) is Filehand search. This is my Monday to be writing, so I'm not going to get on the net to find a link because I don't trust myself. It's filehand.com or filehandsearch.com It's FREE.

Love to all,
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Very timely, since September being back-up your files month is sweeping the blogosphere at the moment.

I use GMail as one of my back-up places too. It's so easy for me just to send myself an e-mail with the latest version of the WiP in it. I don't hear too many people mentioning this as an option though. :-)

8:35 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

I'm an aspiring author.. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your site!

You are in my links column, thanks for being out there!

9:34 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Most of the Luna authors I know use Gmail for back up.

Diva -- LOL, that's the name of one of my cats -- who became Drina "Everyone who is ANYONE adores ME" in Heart Choice. Celebrate yourself! Glad you found me.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]