On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Writing Samples

Every now and then you have to put together a writing sample. I consider this different than a proposal, which is supposed to sell. It's more like a contest. Well, I have an application and I looked over my work -- and decided on a modified opening of Guardian of Honor. And I started asking myself why. I looked at Heart Quest, and that jumps right into action, with a bunch of heavy worldbuilding -- like most of my Heart books.

I wanted something a tad easier, and I consider the second scene in Guardian the most lyrical I've ever written, which should appeal to this particular audience more (and no, I'm not going to tell you what I'm doing for selfish, Scorpio reasons. At least not now). I think you all know the trouble I had with the opening chapters of Sorceress of Faith, so that wasn't even considered.

I formatted and worked on the Contemporary Paranormal Romance, but still didn't think it got my voice across as well as Guardian -- ok, I only have 10 pages and in the Contemporary Paranormal Romance, the action begins with the heroine as a youngster and it's one person on stage for a while with some internals and backstory. So I decided on Guardian of Honor, but maybe I should also look at Knight Protector....

Love to all,
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

Robin,

I have no idea what you are talking about here. And since your Scorpio-ness won't reveal what exactly this is or is needed for, I must remain in the dark about what particular problem you are discussing in this post.

-----> insert befuddled look

Now, I realize that I am a head-in-the-clouds Aquarius and we tend to not even understand =ourselves= most of the time, but I was raised by Scorpios and gave birth to one...so I would think I would have a good chance at guessing what's going on here.

But I can't.

terri(clueless in NJ)

12:25 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Duh! Even more obscure than usual. Sorry.

I am putting together an application for something that demanded a writing sample.

Like writing contests, you weigh which of your works would be best suited to that particular contest (great beginning, hottest sensuality, etc.) and enter the work you think will get you the best results.

I was a little surprised when I looked at all my work for writing samples and realized it was a PAST published work that would be best instead of something current.

Robin

1:35 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Oh, and BTW, my Mom and Dad were BOTH Aquariuses...

Interesting.

1:35 PM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Ahhh! Now I understand.

------> lightbulb moment.


And verra interesting on the Scorpio/Aquarius connection.


Hmmmm...

Terri

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]