On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Fear and Trusting

All right, we may be going over a couple of things I've said before on this blog, or probably in the comments.

I did an online class a while back that I pulled from my Survive to Write, Write to Survive seminar. And in that week, I got people who were having problems motivating themselves to write, even fearful about writing. Sort of like I feel now. So I thought I'd take my own advice.

I'm allowed to be afraid, I'm not allowed to panic or freeze. So that means I can sit down and write with my stomach quivering, but at least I've shown up at the page.

Another thing. Heart Quest is a trust me, baby book. Berkley bought "a second Celta story." My dream come true. Only now I don't think I can make it hold together.

So, I have to trust in myself that I'll write a good story. I truly believe that I've read enough to soak up the rhythm of a story (or the mythic structure a la Vogler) and if I write, that rhythm will come out. I attended one of Vogler's lectures once, on a Sunday, and immediately went home to check out the ms. I'd finished on the previous Friday (still in my drawer, a romantic suspense set in Regency England, no paranormal). To my surprise, I'd hit all the "beats," the plot points. I was a believer.

I give myself permission to wander a little off the path, exploring characters, setting up for more books if I get another contract, and if the book is too long, I'll cut scenes to yank it back on course.

That is, of course, easy to say, but when you give yourself permission to do things like that, you can end chapters with "Now he'd have to beg a spell from his mother." Ka-boom.

Love to all,
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

I just wrote this line in an essay about being so prolific and how people assume I'm fearless because I write so much.

Yeah. I'll just let them think that.

But I do agree with just showing up and how if you write the story will come. It will come. You can do it!

2:32 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, sex. Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes not, but if you slog on, at least you have a book to work with instead of blank pages.

Robin

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]